News Compact digital camera sales slump but SLR's 12% up

Thought members might be interested in these 2 articles. Looks like interchangeable lens digital camera sales are up but compacts have crashed.
Where can I get a smartphone with a quality 24mm wide lens shooting f1.8 ?
Richard

Do smartphones spell the end of the digital camera? Sales of ordinary device plummet 30% in five years | Mail Online

Death of the point-and-shoot? Smartphone cameras now take 27 per cent of photos | Mail Online

the fastest lens on a smartphone is the F2, 28mm-e on the HTC One S and X.
The widest is on the Nokia Pureview 808, at26mm-e in 16:9 and f 2.2
Given the life cycle of smartphones, this will likely be exceeded in a few months.
The Best IQ in smartphone can be found in the Nokia n8, 12mp, 28mm-e, f2.8 and the Nokia Pureview 808, 41mp.
This last is unlikely to be exceeeded anytime soon.
I have the N8 and One S, really thinking about getting the 808 as well!
Smartphones have got quite good, their big advantage is they are always with one, as befits a convergence device :)

Yes, this confirms what has been predicted for a while, and I think that compacts will lose market shares faster and faster in the coming months/years. With a smartphone you can share a picture in real time, for most people that's infinitely more useful than the slight improvement in IQ that a standard compact cam with 1/2.3" sensor will provide. I think unless manufacturers start consolidating their lineups around a couple of well defined models with larger sensors, faster lenses (think RX100) and more features like wifi (think EX2F) and manual controls, this segment will soon lose all relevance and disappear.

I agree that "sharing" the pictures is a huge advantage for phones. The other is that we always carry our phones, but only more serious enthusiasts (like us) carry a camera all the time.

I agree that "sharing" the pictures is a huge advantage for phones. The other is that we always carry our phones, but only more serious enthusiasts (like us) carry a camera all the time.

I have grown 'lazy' in that I have been shooting more and more with my phone(s). I have to make a concerted effort to carry anything larger and even then it is usually something light like my GRD 3...

Back