$100 Off - Ricoh GR with free 32GB SDHC Card, Free Shipping, and 4% Reward at Adorama for $696.95

Here's a question: Would you gather more light and have more flexibility with the Panasonic GM1 while using the 20mm f/1.7 lens versus the Ricoh GR?

More light, yes. For a quick and dirty comparison that assumes similar sensor technology, divide 20/1.7 for the Panasonic and compare that to 18.3/2.8 for the Ricoh.

Great deal. The best for the pocket and one of the rare digital keepers. I still have the GR3 (since release date mid 2009) and the GR will last even longer.

The GM1 definitely seems more flexible to me, but I think the GR would be more handy for me as a compact. Nice grip, controls allow for one handed-operation, no lens cap, great Auto ISO implementation, etc.

Ergonomics and manual controls of the Ricoh are far superior. I have both and the GM1 is my lens holder for the Olympus 45 f1.8, a candid/portrait pocket solution not available elsewhere and great for the upcoming holiday and family stuff. But the GR is my go to pocket/wide angle tool.

I have only one gripe with the GR... I want to set a minimum shutter speed... :(

Sent from another Galaxy

Can you explain that a bit more? I can set minimum speed on mine. Actually I'm using auto ISO with min speed of 125s instead of 60s? Maybe you are talking something different?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

I typed this before, but somehow it got swallowed in one of those strange internet glitches.

It occurred to me that Ricoh is the only camera manufacturer that has consistently advanced a digital version of a luxury compact film camera. While companies like Nikon, Canon and Pentax have made digital versions of their film SLR's, no one else has continued to make digital versions of a compact. Leica never made a Minilux digital, not under their own roof, and the X series cams have no film antecedents. Contax made the TVS Digital in the mid 2000's but went bust shortly thereafter. Fuji have never made a direct digital version of a film compact.

But Ricoh took the GR concept and brought it into the digital age, and now, in its fifth iteration, has come of age. The current aps-c version is the closest thing to the GR1v that Ricoh have come, and it has all the benefits of today's understanding of camera usage and technology.

I took this in the morning. Just me and the GR, out for a walk. Tell me you don't want to shoot this, too.

11400186896_587025b897_z.jpg

GR - It's All About Colour by Archiver, on Flickr

11400324513_be2e3e433f_z.jpg

GR - The Deconstruction of Ancient Architecture by Archiver, on Flickr

Back